Sunday, May 8, 2011

I've succumb to 'platform' pressure...

Stephen King once said "the first million words" are just practice...

With that bit of humbling advice, I'm clocking roughly 400K words spread over four novels (some finished, some unfinished, some abandoned) after roughly fifteen years of on-again/off-again novel writing (mostly off-again).

So why should you read my writing blog? 

Bored at work is probably the best reason, or if you have Google Reader feeding a smartphone and you're sitting at a bus stop or you're waiting for a plane at the airport. Second best reason? You're a writer too, or you're interested in writing, or you're brimming with Shauedenfruede and revel in the missteps of others (I'm guilty of this in spades).

After reading hundreds of blog entries by writers/agents/publishers roaring that one needs a "platform" in these harrowing days of the e-publishing, I've capitulated. Do I think it will help me get published? I'm not banking on it. But who knows... It's something to check off my list, an opportunity that I didn't squander, no regrets, etc...

So what am I planning on posting? 

Hopefully not self-indulgence, ala a 70's era progressive rock album, but a personal blog is self-indulgent by definition, so... in light of that, I'm sure I will be egregiously guilty on all counts. I guess with fifteen odd years of writing triumphs (very few) and failures (more so), if I can help out fellow struggling authors, or perhaps learn something from others, this whole thing will be a reasonable success...

No comments:

Post a Comment